My suite life

Something I look forward to when going on a trip might seem quite strange to some: the hotel. Most people I've talked to about this topic tell me they go on a trip for the outside and they don't really care about the inside; as long as the bed's comfortable and the bathroom is clean and operable. Personally, the accommodations are a big part of the trip because it can even ruin the whole thing if the place I sleep at isn't inspiring in some way. I'm aware this might seem like I'm some hoity-toity tootsie, but I'm just another girl that has her own ways of coping with this world that can be tough at times.

Broadway and Columbus Avenue, New York City (2015)
Before my nineteenth birthday I'd only been in hotels when going on school trips. These hotels were mostly catered to larger groups so it was mostly cost over quality, except for the time we went on a skiing trip when I was ten years old. It was this big chalet in Bramberg  am Wildkogel, Austria - thinking about it reminds me of the delicious hot chocolate they'd serve us during breakfast -  with roofs that were always covered in a thick layer of snow and with windowsills adorned with icicles that we'd break off and lick pretending it was oh so very tasty. Yes, kids are weird. Luckily none of us thought to eat snow, I think. That we stayed in a chalet really enhanced the whole experience for me. It made the memories of that school trip feel even cozier than good ones already do. 

The Bryson Apartment Hotel, Los Angeles (2015)
The first vacation I actually got to choose the hotels myself was the one where my significant other and I went to the U.S. in 2015. In New York we decided on a place that was in a bystreet of Times Square because we wanted to be in walking distance of all the Broadway theatres. We were gonna be watching three of them (The Phantom Of The Opera, Les Misérables and Wicked) so it was really important. Did it have a theme? Yes, but it was very subtle. The hotel's name was Mela, hinting at the city (mela means apple in Italian), and they had green accents in every room. Another stop we made in the U.S. was Los Angeles where we stayed at Hotel Angeleno, again hinting at the city here with the name. They didn't have a theme, but I think they 'd recently rebranded themselves because the keycards were shaped as little record players. So that made me think they used to have a fifties theme going on which I understand because L.A. really blossomed as a city that decade.

Sea Containers Hotel, London (2016)
The most recent hotel I booked a sojourn at was Vice Versa in Paris. I was mainly looking for a hotel close to the Paris Games Week venue, but I still wanted it to be fun. So my eye fell upon this place by pure chance and I'm so happy I did. The whole interior is themed around the cardinal sins. The idea is that you enter the lobby which represents heaven and every floor has their own specific sin. I decided my sin I'd be dedicating myself to this vacation would be gluttony because I was dying to eat one of my favorite pastries: a mille-feuille (and yes, it was the first thing I actually ate when I arrived in Paris and I enjoyed it so much). The day before we had to leave we got an email stating that no trains would be operating between Paris and Brussels tomorrow because of some storm. We were forced (oh, woe is me) to stay another day in Paris. Unfortunately we didn't get to keep our own room. We had to move to the sloth-room. And even though I missed my pinks and macarons I did enjoy the butterflies in that room a lot. Honestly I still don't why sloth is related to butterflies. The only guess I could make is because Psyche is pictured sleeping so much. If anyone knows, please tell me!
A corner of the lobby with some Halloween decoration

The breakfast area

The hall of the room (English: Gluttony)

The bed looking like a plate of macarons

Of course I've also resided at three out of seven Disney hotels in Disneyland Paris. Although they are great hotels with beautiful themes I don't think they should be explored too much in this post because they are supposed to be themed. My favorite for now will be Disney Newport Bay Club and I know that'll change once I get to visit the Disneyland Hotel in all of its pink glory.


Thank you, and take care.



Comments

Popular Posts