Apollo's opulence

 This summer I had my first vacation on a cruise liner. It was a trip on the Disney Dream for four nights from Southampton in the U.K. to Bilbao in Spain, which wasn't the original plan. This trip has quite the tale attached to it, but for now let's focus on the thing that happened to me for the very first time while it was my first time on a cruise (a lot of firsts): I won bingo. I honestly couldn't believe it myself so when I noticed I'd won all I could do was scream which was really confusing to everyone in the room. Our McDonald's-loving bingo host, ATM Andrew, was one of those confused people. I'd never played bingo before but let me tell you how this man kept us  entertained. He obviously couldn't stop talking about his love for international McDonald's and how he wants to eat at one in every country. Besides that, he had some original ways to call out the bingo numbers including singing "O Christmas Tree" when O-63 got called replacing the words with "O 63." Another number that will live in the haha-part of my brain forever is B-11. ATM Andrew referred to it as the "Beyoncé-ball", but "why?" you might be wondering right now. It's because B-11 in Spanish sounds like Beyoncé. And yes, whenever I think of it I do listen to the Spanish lady saying "Beyoncé" (it triggers a special part in my brain). 


So until the end of time I will think of Beyoncé as B-11, which has already caused some misunderstandings. It's not like my peers or I talk a lot about her but she did come up during a tour at the Louvre. The guide was talking about how this spot's popularity increased after Beyoncé and Jay-Z's video clip for Apeshit. The three people (Sam from New Zealand, my significant other and me) being guided were confused. He had to explain to us that Beyoncé and Jay-Z had rented the whole museum to use as a set for that video clip. To that information he got a lukewarm response accompanied with a polite "wow." We just wanted to make more conversation about the movement in the classical Greek sculptures because we're nerds but in a cool way. Honestly, I think it would be annoying having a self-proclaimed know-it-all with you if this wasn't a private tour, but luckily dear Ed appreciated me going into conversation with him about almost everything. He did manage to teach me a couple things I didn't know before: I didn't know that most classical statues are Roman reproductions. He also showed us his favorite area in the museum: the frame gallery. Here they display a bunch of frames from different time periods and locations. All of the frames there are waiting for a fitting painting to fill their inner void.

Before tour guide Ed left us to wander the museum at our own leisure he warned us - again - not go and try to cover the whole museum: "It's simply impossible!" I saw this as a challenge but I had to give up quickly because his words rang true: it's simply impossible - when you've already spent fulls days walking on high heels. Next time I'll be wearing flats and I will conquer the Louvre. Dear French Republic, do not see this as some declaration of war. I'm simply a woman who loves art, is always covered in frills and has a completionist mindset; I'm completely harmless to big institutions. 

The Galerie d'Apollon

During the tour I got a lot of compliments on my coord; a lady even came up to me asking if I was getting married today. I was so charmed by this that I didn't even think of the logistics: how does one get married at a museum? A quick query online showed me that the museum doesn't even allow weddings. I guess the lady didn't know either or was she simply trying to trick a bride into doing something forbidden? After the tour and a quick lunch I visited Angelic Pretty Paris, which had recently reopened after a renovation. Let's just keep it short and say that I wasn't expecting that much chiffon. I only bought a white "Frill Millefeuille" umbrella because that's something my wardrobe actually needed. For the day I decided to wear:

  • Bonnet: Infanta
  • Choker: Vivienne Westwood
  • Cape: Tara Starlet
  • Opera gloves: Off-brand
  • OP: PhysicalDrop
  • Corset: Atelier Pierrot
  • Bloomers: Baby The Stars Shine Bright
  • OTKs: Baby The Stars Shine Bright
  • Shoes: Off-brand
  • Bag: Moi-Même-Moitié
  • Umbrella: Off-brand
My bangs are still pinned up because of the wind and I ate the best croissant ever that morning

Squidward turning me into art so I can live in the Louvre

I wish I had more pictures to share but for some reason my camera borked up. So over half of my pictures are lost. I didn't take any pictures with my phone because I was wearing gloves. So all of the digital pictures featured in this post were taken by my significant other. I'm gonna have my current camera checked out as soon as possible and pray it's not dead. Luckily I still have a back-up camera, which is a Canon Prima Super 28v I picked up for free years ago. I hope it still works because I haven't checked it yet since it needs a specific battery. It's been on my to-do list for three weeks now so I should get to it soon, shouldn't I?

Thank you, and take care.


Comments

Popular Posts