Mutton dressed as lamb

Something I see discussed by surface level fashion publications is the topic of dressing for one's age. These articles should always be taken with a portion of "these people don't know what I dress like so they're trying to help out the general public which includes those that unironically dress like characters from The Big Bang Theory" (I couldn't think of a better pop-culture reference so I went with a show I hate instead). Most of these tips are standard styling suggestions like wearing muted colors while opting for statement jewelry to balance out your outfit, not showing too much skin by wearing a top with a boat neck or wearing a skirt that reaches just above the knee. I treat them as a nice starting point for those who've just begun playing around with fashion. It's the same for those who want to begin dabbling in the kitchen: it all starts with a grilled cheese sandwich and who knows where it could end.

Mrs. Adeline M. Noble by François Flameng (1903)

Friday morning I went to the local market and - with this subject matter in the back of my mind - I noticed myself paying attention to the senior ladies more than usual. Yes, I'm an active people-watcher and I have no shame in admitting it. I love watching what certain demographics wear and speculating about their lives. Most of these ladies wore outfits that were both flattering and fashionable. None of their ensembles were form-fitting or interesting in any shape whatsoever, but a lot of them did play with colors and patterns. Though I'm not a fan of overly vibrant colors I can definitely appreciate it on others. My idea is that older women are attracted to brighter colors because they are aging, meaning their hair is graying and their skin is getting paler. It can't be denied that bright colors have a mood-boosting effect when you wear them (as shown by plenty of studies). Even when looking for sundresses, orange and yellow will pop up more often than black or dark blue since the time of year you'd be wearing said sundress would usually be a happy one. There's a reason why summer is for memories, even though I tend to have happier ones during fall and spring.

The Flower Seller, Tuileries by Henry Victor Lesur 

Dressing your age is also talked about a lot in the Lolita community. This is mainly done by  members that wear the Lolita fashion style based on kawaii culture, also known as Sweet Lolita. This style uses a lot of pastel colors and themes that are often childlike featuring prints based around animals, desserts and even toys. These saccharine motives tend to be less attractive to Lolitas as they age, leading many to cast the style aside for a more toned down version or stop wearing the fashion altogether. Of course this is a pretty sad occurrence but for those scouting the secondhand market seeing a "Leaving Lolita Sale" is always very welcome. After all, to them it means some old treasures might be going on auction for a pretty decent price. These "Leaving Lolita Sales" are never without any regrets because some might've made this decision on impulse. For instance, after having enjoyed being free from school dress codes while being in college, starting your first job postgraduation can feel like a whiplash. You'll be confronted with a new dress code: workplace dress code. After this confrontation, a lot of Lolitas stand at a fork in the road. Queue the chaotic thoughts:

Do I continue donning my frills or do I leave it behind? Will my colleagues mock me? How could I make some pieces wearable to work? Will I still get to wear my dresses plenty often? Will I have the energy to dress up during my days off?

Naturally there isn't one answer to these questions since it all depends on where you work. When your workplace has uniforms you won't be able to wear whatever you like to work, but you can during your time off. This is also why Misako Aoki, famous Lolita model, spends most of her days in hospital scrubs, seeing as she's a nurse. In 2011 she published a book about it named Misako Aoki's Kawaii Revolution - The Nurse Who's a Parttime Lolita. Though you might not have a lot of time to dress in Lolita fashion, you can still enjoy it plenty when you do have time for it. We all know that trying to justify certain purchases by calculating the amount of times you would wear said piece is commonplace, but we’re going to have to cast that girl math aside. Otherwise you will make things more stressful than they need to be.

Misako Aoki and her colleagues (courtesy of Rose Tea Before Dawn)

I've worked two jobs where I had to wear a uniform and I felt miserable working there (other factors were at play). Luckily I found ways to incorporate Lolita fashion items when wearing my uniforms. Alice bands, head bows, frilly socks and other accessories helped me survive this period. When I started my first job where uniforms weren't a thing, I felt so much better. Gradually I started wearing more Lolita fashion to work and, as expected, my colleagues would ask questions about it and some gave me compliments on it (even when my coords were a little silly at times). While there were some people who mocked me for it, it didn't bother me because in my heart I knew that being able to express myself through clothing is an important part of my happiness. I don't see myself ever not wearing any form of Lolita fashion as I understand that it all depends on how you style certain pieces.

Thank you, and take care.



Comments

  1. I'll wear my frilly socks in the grave, I can't live without them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment! I'm happy to hear you're so dedicated.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts